You can make sure voters have the choice to vote Green in 2020 - we can't publicly petition while the COVID-19 crisis is ongoing, so read below for instructions on how you can help the Green Party in these unusual circumstances
That's right. Every four years the state of Maryland requires us to gather ten thousand signatures for ballot access. No ballot access, and we can't run Greens for office. If we can't run Greens for office, voters are stuck with only one or two choices. That's hardly a democracy. Now, some people think that making sure third parties get on the ballot is not a priority in the midst of this national emergency, but we believe the crisis has revealed the need for additional options more than ever. We're not going to let the logistical hurdles of organizing under quarantine stop us from campaigning for universal healthcare, a real Green New Deal to fight climate change, demilitarization of our foreign policy, and other critical issues being ignored or stifled by the two-party system.
NEW - Electronic Signature
Ink and Paper Signature
This is not necessary if you have completed the electronic signature process above.
To Hand Sign the Petition to Renew the Green Party's Ballot Access in Maryland:
1) Download the Printable Petition Form. If you can not access a printer or otherwise complete the petition due to the Corona Virus, please instead sign the non-binding electronic Green Party Ballot Access Affidavit to demonstrate to the state government that you would sign the binding petition if you could (skip the following steps if "signing" electronically).
2) Sign your printed petition form, including
- Your full legal name including any middle names - for example if your legal name is "Steven Martin Murray", writing "Steve Murray" won't count!
- Your signature - watch out! A lot of people misread the form and start filling out the address in this box.
- Your full address where you are registered to vote, for example "123 Fake St, Apt 9, Baltimore 21213"
- Your date of birth
- The date of signature (today's date when you sign the form)
3) Collect signatures from anyone else you safely can, such as family members or roommates you are quarantined with, or neighbors you are able to make arrangements with. Up to five people can sign each form and there is no limit to the number of signatures you can collect.
4) Sign the Circulator's Affidavit at the bottom of the form. You must fill in every line every line of this including your name, address, phone number, signature, and date of signature. If you don't do this NONE of the signatures on the form will be counted!
5) Either mail your completed forms to our Ballot Access Coordinator (address in the Petition Tracker link) or, if you are unable to use the postal service for whatever reason, keep the forms somewhere in your home for now. Either way, please use our quick and easy Petition Tracker so that we know how to get these sheets out of your hands.
1101 N Calvert St Apt 1005
Baltimore, MD 21202
To Volunteer to Collect More Signatures from Maryland Voters
To get the required 10,000 signatures we need YOU to help us petition voters. Email email@example.com with the subject "New Volunteer" to join our phone banking campaign!
We have currently suspended all public petitioning activities, events, and door-to-door outreach because we take seriously our responsibility to our volunteers and the public well-being. For the foreseeable future our outreach will be done by telephone and digital platforms and we need you to help make it happen! By signing up for our phone banking campaign you will be able to call people on the Green Party contact list from your web browser and talk them through signing the petition.
Contact Ballot Access Coordinator Hunt Hobbs at firstname.lastname@example.org for any further questions you might have.
Last Updated June 2, 2020